Sunday, September 25, 2011

72 Hour Kits

With all of the wtf weather we've been having all over the world this year (hurricanes in NY, Earthquakes in Virginia...wtf...not to mention all of the freaking monsoons and typhoons and whatever else that seem to be destroying cities all over the world)  I have really felt this nagging feeling that I need to prepare my home and loved ones for an emergency.  I know this sounds ignorant and paranoid, but this is apocolypse weather!! It's better to be safe than sorry! So, I have spent WEEKS (I am not joking, weeks) on research and planning for survival.  I have FINALLY composed my final shopping list for my kits.  ( It will probably take me like, three years to assemble these kits on my income...hopefully the apocolypse will wait a couple of years.) 

During my research I found that homes with average sized families who are extra cautious like me usually have the following:
Stockpiles of food in their home with powerless cooking equipment, sanitation equipment (poo and pee sealable buckets,) and equipment that will enable them to live in their home for months without power or plumbing. 
Car Emergency kits in all of their vehicles in case of accident or breakdown or whatever.
72 hour kits for each member of their family in case they need to evacuate their home. 

I decided the most important kits for me to have, since my family is small, I don't have children, and don't have the space or money to have a stockpile are:
A car emergency kit in both my car and Her car.
72 Hour Kits for both Her, Me, and our Boys. 


I thought it might be helpful if I posted the list of all of the things I am putting in my kits, since some of you are students or have small families of your own.  My 72 hour kits all fit in a backpack and my car kits just go in the trunk ( or the backseat if you have room. It is better to keep them in a reachable place in case yo are trapped in your vehicle)...perfect for single people or couples with no kids!!

Here's my list...
2 adult human backpacks (one for me, one for Her)
2 doggie backpacks (so the boys can help carry some of the load)
Water (3 gallon per person per day, 1 gallon per day for dogs...it comes to 9 gallons of water...yikes! I also need crates of bottled water...one for each car kit)
First Aid Kits (I need one big one for one for one of the backpacks, one small one for the other backpack, and 2 medium ones for each car backpack)
Extra glasses, contact solution (for Me)
2 Moleskin pouches (to hold cash and important papers in each backpack)
Change of clothes (one in each backpack, a hoodie and some swaetpants in each car kit...I am getting the clothes from a thrift store to save $$)
Sturdy shoes ( I really need a good pair of work boots)
Battery Powered Weather Radio (one to be carried in one of the backpacks...I hope we don't get seperated!!)
Extra Batteries (for each backpack and car kit)
Blanket (one for eack backpack)
Sleeping Bags (hopefully light enough to carry with our packs...one for each person)
Old Comforter (one for each car)
Rain Poncho (one for each human and hopefully we will eventually get the doggy kind for our boys)
Tent (we can share)
Plastic sheeting (one sheet for each pack, and some for each car...this can be used as a shelter or to seal up broken windows in your car)
Emergency Plan (this includes emergency numbers, meeting places, copies of insurance and other important papers, the phone numbers for family, friends, hospitals, and meeting places, etc)
Pre Paid phone cards
Jump Cables (one for each car)
Car shovel (one for each car)
Folding shovel (1 for the Humans to share)
Rope (one for each car kit, one for Humans to share)
N95 Dust Mask (one for each Backpack)
Working Gloves (one for each Car Kit, one for Humans to Share)
Flashlight (One for each car kit, one for each backpack)
Wind/Waterproof matches (some for each kit and each car)
Candle (one for each backpack and one for each Car)
Plastic Trash Bags (some for each backpack and for each car)
Feminine Hygeine (each backpack, and car...I don't ever want to go on a hunt for tampons in the middle of a natural disaster...)
Shampoo (one for each pack and each car)
Dental Care (each pack, and each car)
Toilet Paper (Each kit and eack car...hint...if you take out the middle cardboard roll, you can smash the roll flat and store it in a ziplock bag for easy packing)
Hair Ties (each kit, and each car)
Wet Wipes (a pack for each kit and each car)
Pack of Cards (one for each car and one for the humans to share)
Book (one for each car and one for the humans to share)
Dog Toys (2 in each car and one in each pack)
Tire Repair Kit and Pump (one in each car)
Duct Tape (a roll on each pack and each car)
Swiss army knife ( One in each kit and one in each car)
Maps of your area (one in each pack and one in each car...you never know when your smart phone or GPS will die in a disaster...be prepared for the worst!! It's a good idea to go ahead and mark routes you may need to take on your maps)
Sewing Kit (one in each backpack)
Whistle (one in each backpack and one in each car..the kind that goes around your neck is what you really want.  In the car, you should hang it around your rearview mirror in case you have an accident and your injuries prevent you from getting to your trunk. You can also use the back side of a cd to signal for help if you're in your car)
Power Cap!! (the helmet with the lights on it...ideally I'll have one for each human and one for each car...but I'm saving up for the good spelunking kind... Maybe one day...)
Lighter (one for each pack and one for each car)
Can opener (one for the humans to share and one for the car)
Plastic Utensils (one of each for each Human)
Pen and paper (one for each backpack and one for each car)
Scissors (one for each car and one for the humans to share)
Kleenex packet (one for each backpack and one for each car)
Deoderant (one for each backpack and one for each car)
Small Hair Brush (one for the humans to share)
Chapstick (one for each human and one for each car)
Lotion (small bottle for each human)
Hand sanitizer (some for each human and some for each car)
sunscreen (Some for the humans to share)
Nail Clippers (one set for the humans to share)
Doggie Clean Up Bags (one roll)
Dog Food (enough for three days)
Dog Treats (enough for three days)
Eye Drops (these can be used to clean out doggie wounds)
Hammer (one for each car and one for the humans to share)
Wrench (one for each car and one for the humans to share)
Screw Driver (one for each car and one for the humans to share)
Collapsile Dog Bowls (3)

I also have a list of food to buy.  You want enough fod to last you 72 hours, and it is good to have high energy, high protein food.  If anyone wants the list I've already compiled... shoot me a message!!

It is also a good idea to make a "Grab List" of things that you want to grab on the way out of your home, if you have time.  Good things for the grab list are family photos, journals, jewelry, extra food if you are headed to your car, etc.

I hope this was helpful...I know it looks like a TON of stuff, but I swear it all fits into the packs...I've seen pictures!! Well, the sleeping bags have to be tied up to the top, but everything else will fit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment